New blogs

Leherensuge was replaced in October 2010 by two new blogs: For what they were... we are and For what we are... they will be. Check them out.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Out of Africa probably much older


I want here to call attention to a particularly relevant post at Mathilda's Anthropology Blog. She takes a moment to review all the ancient human or likely human remains that seem (in some cases are for sure) older than the usual conservative OoA dates.

Please take a look: My main objections to a recent out of Africa date.

I have already argued here and there that the usual conservative estimates may be too recent. While I am not sure about the certainty of some of the claimed dates, I certainly would argue that is worth taking them into consideration, notably those in the 100-90,000 BP range.

If mtDNA L3 expanded at that remote time, in my opinion, mtDNA M and N would have expanded right after the Toba event, which surely caused a major bottleneck in Asia.
.

No comments: