The last map of the series (it was hard to draw and I am still slightly confused about some minor M clades possibly):
· AI stands for Andaman Islands
· Sahul refers to Australia and New Guinea, but most clades are exclusively Melanesian. Only Q (marked in pink) is present in Australia too.
· Clades marked in blue are present in several regions:
- M33 is shared by South and SE Asia
- M9 (including subclade E) is shared by SE and East Asia
- CZ (or just C, Z being a subclade) has a wide distribution across northern Eurasia, from Northern Europe to America, it's generally considered to be East Asian in origin
- D has also a wide distribution from West Eurasia (Northern Europe and West Asia) to America, it's generally considered to be East Asian in origin too
· The mtDNA spread maps 1: macro-haplogroup N
· The mtDNA spread maps 2: macro-haplogroup R
Another note: the South Asian origin is putative, not definitive. One could well argue for SE Asian origin for this macro-haplogroup (not for the others though) but in my opinion it's a quite reasonable hypothesis. Of course, the ultimate origin is in Africa, where there is a lot more diversity within L3, from which both M and N are derived.
If you find any error, please let me know. Thanks in advance.