The Special Relator for the Promotion of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms in the Fight Against Terorism, Martin Schenin, has issued a new report on his mission to Spain where he denounces that:
- Political parties and electoral lists can be forbidden without guarantees of any sort thanks to a very vague law that allows almost any reason to declare a party illegal and to the lack of guarantees in the trials where all is decided.
- That terror scare is used to repress NGOs, media and political activities, without respecting the principles of proportionality and necessity.
- That the term "terrorist organization" lacks of any rigorous definition and is used as a blank clause for political repression.
- That incommunicated arrest, trials in a especial tribunal, arrests without trial for as long as four years and the increment of punishments pose too many risks for human rights and legal guarantees to be acceptable.
- That totally new electoral lists are being repressed without any evidence of legal breach.
- That political pluralism is essential for a society to be truly democratic and therefore any restriction should be exceptional and be clearly regulated.